Re: [GENERAL] Re: weird sum() results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jose Soares
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: weird sum() results
Date
List pgsql-general
The accumulator of SUM has the same type of the given argument and it may result in an overflow;
this kind of behavior is identical also for AVG function.
In the case of a SMALLINT  (int2) or an INTEGER (int4) the overflow is silent.
In the case of a FLOAT PostgreSQL gives an error message like:
         ERROR:  Bad float8 input format -- overflow

To avoid undesired silent overflows you should use float8 function as in:
    SUM ( float8 (argument) )

or SUM(int2*1.0)
    SUM(int4*1.0)
    SUM(int8*1.0)

Otherwise you may create your own SUM()/AVG() functions using int84pl as accumulator fot int4 and int42pl as
accumulator for int2. If you want an example I can send it to you.

José