Re: [GENERAL] apache logs to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric van der Vlist
Subject Re: [GENERAL] apache logs to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am currently using a less elegant -but efficient- solution which is to
use the standard Apache log module and to post process the log files
into postgreSQL tables.

The advantage of this method is that you can perform this post
processing on another server, removing all the strain from the web
server.

If anyone is interested, I can contribute the scripts I have developed.
They are tailored to my specific needs but could easily be adapted.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Marc Tardif wrote:

> In the contrib directory, there is an example on how to redirect apache
> logs to a postgresql database. It says to create a table and change two
> lines in the apache configuration file to use psql for copying the
> logs to the database.
>
> My question is: using an sql db is mostly compelling for very active
> sites but, if this is the case, is it sensible to use psql?
>
> First, I find that using the psql command could have too much overhead.
> Seeing the executable is 46696 bytes and dynamically linked, I'm not
> really sure what is the strain on the system for bringing up psql.
>
> Second, I have tried to see the alternative of writing an apache module
> or, more sensibly, changing the current module responsible for logging.
> After reading mod_log_config.c, I'm not really sure how I can integrate
> libpq and avoid having to connect and disconnect repeatedly. If I can't
> somehow sustain a connection, I imagine the module would be just as
> efficient as using psql.
>
> Lastly, I'm confused and overwhelmed by the size of the task at hand. I'd
> appreciate any suggestions or recommendations or thoughts on whether
> writing a module is even worthwhile at all.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Eric van der Vlist                                              Dyomedea

http://www.dyomedea.com                          http://www.ducotede.com