Re: [GENERAL] More Rule creation problems (and nowhere near 8K) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: [GENERAL] More Rule creation problems (and nowhere near 8K)
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Burrows wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem trying to create a rule on a view and keep getting
>
> ERROR:  DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big.
>
> I've looked though the mailing list and docs and have seen mentions that
> the limit of a rule is 8192 characters.  The rule (see below) is no more
> than 600 characters as it is and the error still appears even when all the
> whitespace is removed.

If I read the previous comments on this topic correctly, it's not the length
of your query that matters, but rather the length of what your query gets
translated into... a very annoying bug, indeed.  This is the number one
barrier to my ODBC use as it makes views pretty much unusable.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr