Re: [GENERAL] How do you live without OUTER joins? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alessio Bragadini
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How do you live without OUTER joins?
Date
List pgsql-general
Sarah Officer wrote:

> How about using a union?
>
> select cc.com_cat_long, co.company_name
> from company_category cc, company co
> where cc.com_cat_abbr = co.com_cat_abbr
> union
> select 'unknown' as com_cat_long, company_name
> from company
> where com_cat_abbr is null;

Yes, would be the best way to go. Unfortunately I need one of this outer
joins in a VIEW, and seems to me that a VIEW cannot be created with a
UNION.

Therefore, for one of our projects we had to setup an intermediate table
kept consistent using a number of triggers. Having outer joins or UNION
in VIEWs would definitively be a much better way!

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://www.sevenseas.org/~alessio

"It is more complicated than you think"
        -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925