Re: [HACKERS] Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort ! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort !
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > Can I postpone/workaround the problem by periodic server restarts to reset
> > the counts?  Or is this a persistent thing across server restarts?
>
> Yes, a postmaster restart would clean up the buffer reference counts.
> I think there were also some less drastic code paths that would clean
> them up --- you might try something as simple as deliberately inducing
> an SQL error now and then, so that error cleanup runs.

What *kind* of SQL error would trigger the cleanup?  I've certainly had
numerous SQL errors prior to this problem showing up (parse errors, misnamed
attributes, ...), but that didn't apparently fix the problem system wide.

Also, are these buffer counts per backend or per postmaster?  In other words,
does a particular kind of SQL error need to occur on each backend?

Cheers,
Ed Loehr