Re: [GENERAL] All writes make postgresql a slow database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jesse Kipp
Subject Re: [GENERAL] All writes make postgresql a slow database?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I'm using Postges to log certain customer activities on our web site -
> logins, things like that. I vacuum once a night. Now the database has
> grown quite large, the main table alone is 180 Mb. It contains lots and
> lots of small rows.

That is a very small database. :)

> Anyway, a few minutes ago I ran a single query. After it finished, I
> noticed that the CPU usage had dropped dramatically. Like from a load
> average of about 5 to about 0.8. Now I'm wondering if the query I ran
> was the cause of this. Will postgres slow down if the only operations
> being performed are inserts?

What indexes do you have on the table? Having lots of indexes could slow
down inserts, but speed up queries. If you don't have any indexes, a
query against a 180 meg table could take a while, particularly if you
have less then 180 megs of ram.

jesse