Re: [HACKERS] read-only database - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] read-only database
Date
List pgsql-patches
> The ability to have PGDATA in read-only media (like CDs) has been
> requested a lot of times, hasn't it?

It's come up a few times ... more than an un-overridable read-only mode
anyway.  Also, I should think that those who want a secure read-only
mode want it enforced selectively --- for instance, assuredly read-only
for some users but not others.  I can hardly see any use case for the
patch as proposed; it seems to have all the disadvantages of a low-level
read-only mode (eg, not selective) without any of the advantages.

            regards, tom lane