A bug or a feature? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alessio Bragadini
Subject A bug or a feature?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] A bug or a feature?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
We have a table with ~30 columns, named 'people' and we were going to
create a view for all record with 'relationship' equal to 1. The
database complains where using the '*' placeholder:

albourne=> CREATE VIEW employees AS SELECT * FROM people WHERE
relationship = 1;
ERROR:  DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big.

but accepts the same 30 columns on the command:

albourne=> create view employees as select

id,title,first_name,middle_name,last_name,suffix,company,job_title,address,city,zipcode,country,home_phone,home_fax,mobile,bus_phone,bus_fax,other_phone,e_mail_1,e_mail_2,url,birthday,christmas,brochure,golf,croquet,comment
from people where relationship=1;
CREATE

'*' is SQL92 (I think) so is this a bug or a known limitation?

The system is PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f, compiled by cc.

Thanks
Alessio

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://www.sevenseas.org/~alessio

You are welcome, sir, to Cyprus. -- Shakespeare's "Othello"