Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Mandrake RPMs (was RPM build on Suse linux 6.2)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > --rebuild is enough -- but RedHat is not the only RPM-based distribution
> > > (nor is linux the only OS that can have RPM installed....).  Time to buy
> > > CheapBytes' Mondo CD pack (five linux distributions on CD)....
> > I've sent off mail to the Mandrake folks regarding the Postgres RPMs;
> > will let you know what I find out. Current problems:
> > 1) they don't have the latest release. I asked whether they had a
> > mechanism for releasing updates to packages over and above the limited
> > number I see on their site.
> The last Mandrake release is for the Cooker development setup (go to
> rpmfind.net, Mandrake Cooker, pull up a RPM list by name, and go to the P's.).
> They last put in 6.5.2-1 in Cooker.  And Cooker has the src.rpm.

I'm just using yours for now. Interesting: on my new laptop it builds
*i686* rpms, since the Mandrake /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc is very aggressive
about matching the build machine. I have created a /root/.rpmrc to
override this, but I'm planning on posting some optimized RPMs at
postgresql.org.

We might also want to consider building some non-locale-enabled RPMs
so folks can get the speed boost if they aren't using non-ascii
English.

I've changed a couple of lines in the spec file; diffs included below.

> Can you forward Mandrake's reply to me??

Sure. Haven't heard from them yet...

                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California*** postgresql-6.5.3-1.spec    Fri Nov  5 20:33:29 1999
--- postgresql-6.5.3-2mdk.spec    Tue Nov 23 13:57:45 1999
***************
*** 1,7 ****
  Name: postgresql
  Version: 6.5.3
! Release: 2mdk
  Copyright: BSD
  Group: Applications/Databases
  Source0: ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql-%{version}.tar.gz
***************
*** 253,259 ****

  ## Removed the code for the data subpackage.

! mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/var/lib/pgsql

  # tests. There are many files included here that are unnecessary, but include
  # them anyway for completeness.
--- 253,259 ----

  ## Removed the code for the data subpackage.

! install -d -m 0700 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/var/lib/pgsql

  # tests. There are many files included here that are unnecessary, but include
  # them anyway for completeness.
***************
*** 387,393 ****
  /usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so
  %attr(-,postgres,postgres) %dir /usr/lib/pgsql/backup
  /usr/lib/pgsql/backup/pg_dumpall_new
! %attr(-,postgres,postgres) %dir /var/lib/pgsql

  %files devel
  %defattr(-,root,root)
--- 387,393 ----
  /usr/lib/pgsql/plpgsql.so
  %attr(-,postgres,postgres) %dir /usr/lib/pgsql/backup
  /usr/lib/pgsql/backup/pg_dumpall_new
! %attr(700,postgres,postgres) %dir /var/lib/pgsql

  %files devel
  %defattr(-,root,root)