Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] users in Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] users in Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, okay, everyone that wants to set their PostgreSQL user id
> explicitly, send me a note and I'll put it back in, which ever way.

I thought that Tom Lane was representing me just fine, so was keeping
quiet ;)

An aside on procedures: on a change like this, I might have expected a
discussion on functionality *before* the patch was developed, since it
changes a seemingly fundamental feature. Though I haven't thought of a
strong, or even weak, argument for why id matching is necessary, it is
a topic about which there has been no discussion in the past, so I
didn't realize I needed an opinion until now.

Another aside: I'd like to think that most good ideas which stand the
test of an extended discussion will get a consensus to form. So if you
really think this is a step forward then keep talking about it; don't
give up too soon...

Back on topic: If there is currently no apparent need for a link
between Postgres user ids and external system ids, it is the case that
this is an obvious mechanism to make that link. So if someday a user
or a system feature needs it, it is already there and has been so from
day 1. afaik other DBs have a similar attribute for users.
                        - Thomas

South Pasadena, California