Re: Document DateStyle effect on jsonpath string() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Document DateStyle effect on jsonpath string()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
> I wonder, then, whether .string() should be modified to use the ISO format in UTC, and therefore be immutable. That’s
theformat you get if you omit .string() and let result be stringified from a date/time/timestamp.

What "let result be stringified" behavior are you thinking of,
exactly?  AFAICS there's not sensitivity to timezone unless you
use the _tz variant, otherwise it just regurgitates the input.

I agree that we should force ISO datestyle, but I'm not quite sure
about whether we're in the clear with timezone handling.  We already
had a bunch of specialized rules about timezone handling in the _tz
and not-_tz variants of these functions.  It seems to me that simply
forcing UTC would not be consistent with that pre-existing behavior.
However, I may not have absorbed enough caffeine yet.