Re: [HACKERS] VIEWS, DISTINCT and COUNT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] VIEWS, DISTINCT and COUNT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I could take it on, but I have a lot of other stuff I want to do for
> > 7.0.  Is this more important than fixing fmgr or improving the
> > planner's selectivity estimates?  I dunno...
> Jan's foreign key support, Vadim's WAL, and Tom Lane's cleanups are of
> major importance for 7.0, so it seems we better focus on those, and if
> we have time before 7.0, and all people involved have time, we can take
> on that work.  We will need to have most of us available to discuss and
> merge the changes into all the affected areas.

Outer joins will likely require this. So far, I'm just working on the
join *syntax*, and (although stalled for the last week or two) will be
touching the rte structure to support table and column aliases in the
join syntax. But to move to outer joins, I need to be able to tie two
rte's together, which will be easier to do if I'm allowed to include a
query tree (which would, in turn, include rte's for the join tables).

So, we get join syntax in 7.0 without major parser changes. Not sure
we can get outer joins without more, which is required for Jan to go
farther too...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California