ODBC connect from Linux to Postgresql db server - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Aage J. Skjolingstad
Subject ODBC connect from Linux to Postgresql db server
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Novice to Postgresql and Linux trying to get away from M$, but need lots
of help.
Have posted similar question at the list, but no response.

Here is my set-up, all connected via one hub and ethernet cards.

A) Postgresql db on one Linux box - RH 6.0 / Postgresql 6.5.2. Test
database running clean with postmaster -1up and running.

B) Test Webserver, WebSitePro on W98 with PsqlODBC and PgAdmin
installed. I used latest to transfer my db from Access to the db-server
(A).

This server is using iHTML from Inline for scripting and linking the web
pages / SQL commands. Everything here looks and works correct.

C) Test Webserver, Apache on Linux RH 6.0.  iHTML installed and working.
Also installed is Postgresql (client) and postgresql-odbc 6.5.2.

Here is the problem:

I do not know how and I can not get "C" to connect to the database on
"A". I am using the ODBC Manger that came with iHTML which I believe  is
the freeODBC. Have tried to configure iodbc.ini in hundred different
ways and used days reading mailing lists.

Only results; Error message: "Missing server name, port or database name
in call
to CC_connect".

Found one posting on iHTML's Conference Board, saying:

Quote:
…changed the file dlg_specific.h in the postres odbc source. There was a
line with:
#define ODBC_INI ".odbc.ini"

I changed this to
#define ODBC_INI "/usr/ihtml/iodbc.ini"   ... and it works.
Unquote.

Comments, and id any detailed instructions available,  - will be
appreciated.

Regards,

Aage J. Skjolingstad