Linking the previously separated documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Linking the previously separated documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello all!

I've been eyeing providing links between the previously separated
documentation books, e.g., linking this sentence "Please familiarize
yourself with the  pg_dump reference page." in the backup and restore
section <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup.html> to
the applicable reference page. I haven't gone through all of the docs
yet (there are a lot of them!) and right now I'm just looking for
obvious linking possibilities of the "see foo" variety. Is anyone else
working on something like this? Is it worthwhile?

If so, I've got a question as to style. My first idea was not to change
the text at all, and just replace (in the above example) "pg_dump" with
<xref linkend="APP-PGDUMP">. Should I be rewriting these sections or is
what I'm doing agreeable? (Might not be a bad idea to work up a style
book for the documentation to guide writing, but that's a project in
and of itself.)

If everything seems fine, I'll see if I can't figure out how to submit
a patch.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com