Re: [BUGS] Replication to Postgres 10 on Windows is broken - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Replication to Postgres 10 on Windows is broken
Date
Re: [BUGS] Replication to Postgres 10 on Windows is broken
List pgsql-bugs
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> I've added this as an open item.  Confirmed in this setup:

> -- Client
> Windows Server 2016
> postgresql-10.0-beta2-windows-x64-binaries.zip from EnterpriseDB

I wonder whether the other complainants were using EDB's build,
and if not, just what were they using.  The indirect question is:
what version of OpenSSL is the Windows build using?

> I don't, however, see a smoking gun among commits.  Would you bisect the
> commits since 9.6 and see which one broke things?

Gut instinct says that the reason this case fails when other tools
can connect successfully is that libpqwalreceiver is the only tool
that uses PQconnectStart/PQconnectPoll rather than a plain
PQconnectdb, and that there is some behavioral difference between
connectDBComplete's wait loop and libpqrcv_connect's wait loop that
OpenSSL is sensitive to --- but only on Windows, and maybe only on
particular OpenSSL versions.

I have some memory of having tweaked libpqrcv_connect's loop once
already, but I can't find a commit for that right now.

A different line of thought is that maybe we broke it with the
changes for OpenSSL 1.1.0.  Again, it would be very important
to know which OpenSSL version we're dealing with here.