Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
> Every few months one of the uber core BSD hackers threatens to rewrite
> that part of PG because high up in the BSD camp, it's common belief
> that shm* is a source of performance loss for PostgreSQL.

They're full of it.  RAM is RAM, no?  Once you've got the memory mapped
into your address space, it's hard to believe that it matters how you
got hold of it.

In any case, mmap doesn't have the semantics we need.  See past
discussions.

            regards, tom lane