Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Planning final assault on query length limits
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > Let's wait for 7.0 beta - "big tuples" seems as work for 2 weeks...
>
> Thing is, if Vadim could do it in two weeks (sounds about right), then
> maybe I could do it in three or four (I'd have to spend time studying
> parts of the backend that Vadim already knows, but I don't).  It seems
> to me that some aspiring hacker who's already a little bit familiar
> with backend coding could do it in a month or two, with suitable study,
> and would in the process make great strides towards gurudom.  This is
> a fairly localized task, if I'm not greatly mistaken about it.  And          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure. Seems that we'll have to change heap_getattr:
if a column crosses page boundary then we'll have to re-construct
it in memory and pfree it after using...

> there's plenty of time left before 7.0.  So this seems like a perfect
> project for someone who wants to learn more about the backend and has
> some time to spend doing so.

And we always ready to help...

> A year ago I didn't know a darn thing about the backend, so I'm a bit
> bemused to find myself being called a member of "the small club".
> Programming skills don't come out of nowhere, they come out of study
> and practice.  (See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/loginataka.html)
-:)))

Vadim