Re: can postgres do this? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: can postgres do this?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(on list; interesting topic)

> Tom, I'm looking at an oracle script and seeing something I haven't seen
> before.  Is this something oracle specific?  Can Postgres do it?
> CREATE OR REPLACE procedure inc_char_for_sort_key (old_char IN OUT CHAR,
> carry_p OUT INTEGER)
> It goes on, but it's the CREATE OR REPLACE part that I'm interested in.

That's interesting. In our case, you would do a "drop function" and
then the "create function" as a two step process. Oracle simplifies it
a bit for you. I'm not sure why we throw an error if you drop a
function which does not exist, since that makes it tough to blindly do
the "drop/create" pair. Why don't we just signal a warning or notice
instead?
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California