Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might enjoy about PGSQL. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Interesting Quote you might enjoy about PGSQL.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> > Found this quote by Philip Greenspun (who is unabashedly in love with
> > Oracle) in a LinuxWorld article:
>
> It's nice to know he is a fan. btw, Philip was inquiring about the
> feasibility of making PostgreSQL more compatible with Oracle to allow
> him to port a large software project he built (in fact, you referred
> us to his web site on some other topic recently). Until we have outer
> joins it is a non-starter for him, but it was nice he asked :)

That would be the ArsDigita Community System -- ACS for short.  This is
an absolutely wonderful community system for database-backed web sites
-- www.arsdigita.com for more info. Version 7 territory! I have played
with ACS against the free development-only Oracle 8i for Linux -- very
comprehensive. However, Oracle for a database-backed web site is priced
sky-high -- I saw one quote for $25,000 to back a website with Oracle 8i
on a 500MHz Pentium III (their license factors server speed into the
cost -- a 386-16 might only cost $1,000 on that scale...;-))
Compatibility with Oracle is IMHO a pretty good thing, as long as we
don't become an Oracle clone -- PostgreSQL has too many nice extras for
that.

Yeah, it was _because_ of AOLserver and Philip Greenspun that I got into
PostgreSQL in the first place.

BTW: RedHat 6.1 shipped, with the last RPM's I posted.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio