Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/8/3 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Uh, no, we had better support more.  The actual limit of the current
> numeric format is 1e+131072.

Given your comment above I'm thinking it reasonable to use an int32 to
store the exponent -- will that be safe?

That would allow for a maximum of 10 exponent digits.  As an aside, I
note that int4out() hardcodes the maximum number of digits rather than
exposing a constant (c.f. MAXINT8LEN in int8.c).  I'm considering
adding MAXINT2LEN and MAXINT4LEN to int.c in passing.  Excessive
tinkering, or worthy improvement?

Cheers,
BJ