Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> The problem is that you, me, and the people we know are the only ones
> who actually use \df to see system functions. 99.99% of users don't care,
> or don't even know, about the system functions - but they do care about
> being able to view /their/ functions. So from a usability perspective,
> asking a small minority of users to learn to type an extra character is
> a small price to pay for a great leap in usability for everyone else.

+1.

Most people wanting to learn about which system functions are
available will be surely be going to the manual, not using \df?

For example if you wanted to know what functions were around for doing
stuff with dates, \df date* is almost useless.  Most of the functions
listed are operator and index support stuff.  I can't imagine anyone
in userland wanting date_ne_timestamptz(), say, to show up as a result
of \df.

I have ocassionally used things like \do to search for the more
obscure operators, but honestly most of the time when I use a \d
command, all I want to see is my user-defined stuff.

Cheers,
BJ