Re: Firing triggers based on certain Insert conditions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Firing triggers based on certain Insert conditions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/29/07, Harpreet Dhaliwal <harpreet.dhaliwal01@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a table in which i have a field named 'source'
> A trigger is written on this table.
> I want this trigger to fire only when after Insert this field 'source'
> has value = 'from', otherwise trigger should not be fired at all.
> Just wondering if its really possible?

AFAIK you can't prevent the trigger from firing, but you can make the
trigger behave differently based on what's in the fields of the new
row:

CREATE FUNCTION source_insert() RETURNS trigger AS $$
 BEGIN
  IF NEW.source = 'from' THEN

   /* do stuff */

  END IF;

  RETURN NULL;
 END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE;

CREATE TRIGGER post_insert AFTER INSERT ON [your table name] FOR EACH
ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE source_insert();

Regards,
BJ