Re: [PL/pgSQL] How should I use FOUND special variable. Documentation is little unclear for me - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: [PL/pgSQL] How should I use FOUND special variable. Documentation is little unclear for me
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/9/06, Jeremiasz Miedzinski <jmiedzinski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, I need to do the same action in PL/pgSQL. It's rather simple, but I
> don't know how to use FOUND variable described in documentation:
>
> FETCH retrieves the next row from the cursor into a target, which may be a
> row variable, a record variable, or a comma-separated list of simple
> variables, just like SELECT INTO. As with SELECT INTO, the special variable
> FOUND may be checked to see whether a row was obtained or not.
>
> When I'm trying to use it in Oracle way, my DB reports error. Also I tried
> to use it like that:
>
> IF NOT crs_cnt%FOUND THEN ...

In PL/pgsql, FOUND is just a variable which is set to true or false on
the outcome of each SELECT or FETCH.

To use it in your example, you could do:

OPEN crs_cnt(start_millis, end_millis);
LOOP
 FETCH crs_cnt into row_cnt;
 EXIT WHEN NOT FOUND;