Re: [BUGS] BUG #14671: INSERT..RETURNING on partitioned table - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14671: INSERT..RETURNING on partitioned table
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2017/05/29 15:51, oren432@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      14671
> Logged by:          yaniv oren
> Email address:      oren432@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.0
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> Bug/limitation is described here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5eaaef180704091446r4b55ae95g5edea27e0a447993%40mail.gmail.com
> I see that bug still occurs.

It doesn't seem to me that it's a bug/limitation that will be fixed.
Setting up partitioned tables using rules, etc. in the older PostgreSQL
releases (such as 9.2) works only so far as it does and then you hit the
limitations of using that system, such as what you are complaining about.
I mean to say that nobody will modify the rules subsystem so that
INSERT..RETURNING will behave like you want it to when you use it to
implement partitioning, let alone in an older PostgreSQL version such as 9.2.

If you are willing to migrate to a newer PostgreSQL release, upcoming v10
will offer partitioned tables as native objects, where you won't be using
rules, etc. to implement partitioning.  Hence, you won't see problems like
the one you are facing; things like INSERT..RETURNING will work normally.
Although, there might be some other unrelated limitations when using the
new feature, which you will need to get familiar with by reading the
documentation.

Thanks,
Amit