Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steven M. Wheeler
Subject Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze
Date
Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
More information on the continuing vacuum saga:
The latest run after having processed an additional 40K+ msgs (4M+ inserts).
Start: 10/06/1999@07:28:07
complete: 10/06/1999@21:17:32
About 14 hours.
Two tables.
The currnt table has 39.5M+ rows in it.  Select count(*) took 14m41s
The history table only has 190K rows.

I am now running into another problem.  I need to do select distinct from the
currnt to get dates for maintenance activity (rows to summarize and move to
history).  When ever I do I get this message in my server.log file:

NOTICE:  BufFileRead: should have flushed after writing

And I get 0 records selected.  Can't find this message in the docs.  Any
suggestions?  Should I submit this on the SQL list?

Thanks, you're help is greatly appreciated!

--
Steven Wheeler
Mid-Range UNIX Engineering