Re: [INTERFACES] Questions connecting to PostgreSQL. - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Questions connecting to PostgreSQL.
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> I want to develop a database application with Borland C++ Builder. I
> want to access a PostgreSQL sited in a remote Linux, and I have many
> general questions to solve before starting:
> 1.- ¿What ways can I use to connect to the database? (ODBC ...¿?)
> I would like not using ODBC because it is too slow. I have heard about
> sockets connections. Ideas?  Doc available?

ODBC, libpq, libpq++, JDBC are the available options. Don't even think
about doing a custom implementation on sockets; you'll just be
duplicating work already done.

> 2.- I want to transmit data in encrypted way. Is it true that ODBC
> doesn't send data encryted? Is there a kwown solution for it?

Not sure. Look at the newest online docs at www.postgresql.org in the
chapter on Security, which discusses ssh, or check the mailing list
archives.

> 4.- I have heard about the libpq++ classes. But, are them only for
> Linux, or can I use them from the Borland C++ Builder?

They compile on two dozen platforms. Not sure what Borland requires
for code, how C++ compliant it is (the standard evolves faster than
the compilers), etc.

Good luck.
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California