Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steven M. Wheeler
Subject Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze
Date
Re: [SQL] Questions about vacuum analyze  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
System: Compaq ProLiant 3000 with 2 300MHz PentPro, 512MB RAM, 32GB hardware
based stripe-set for the DB area.
OS: Linux kernel 2.2.12
DB: version 6.5

Thanks for the info, thought I'd send a followup regarding my ongoing
problems with vacuum.

After the last email, I vacuumed the DB a couple of times, with indexes
dropped.  The first time it completed in 2-3 hours, the next time was
appreciably longer.  After this I stopped doing anything except for inserts,
trying to catch up on the incoming data.  This went on for a little over a
week until I had inserted several million additional rows (its now up to
31M+).  I then dropped the indexes and started vacuum again.
Start: 09/28/1999@10:06:57
Finish: 09/30/1999@19:13:14

33 hours - WOW!

This morning, I rebuilt the indexes and tried to do a "select distinct
statdate from currnt;"  This select statement has been running for several
hours now.  The only output has been the following message, repeated twice:
"NOTICE:  BufFileRead: should have flushed after writing".  The system is
running at about 50% utilization.

I have checked everything I can think of, and at this point I have very
little hair left to loose.  What the heck am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

Have I mentioned how desperate I am;-}

--
Steven Wheeler
Mid-Range UNIX Engineering