Re: [HACKERS] create table and default 'now' problem ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] create table and default 'now' problem ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > how I could create table with datetime field default
> > to 'now'::text in a way Jan did in his shoes rule example ?
> > If I do:
> > test=> create table test ( a datetime default 'now',
> > b int4);
> > CREATE
> > I always get datetime of the moment I created the
> > table, but I'd like to have datetime of moment I insert.
> One way around this bug is to create a SQL function
> which returns now() and use it as the default value:

Not necessary, though this does work well. A simpler way is to
actually do what Oleg asks about:
 create table test ( a datetime default text 'now',...)

or
 create table test ( a datetime default 'now'::text,...)

which should force the string to *stay* as a string, rather than
getting converted to a date value when the table is created. Once it
is forced to be a string, then it will be converted at insert time
instead.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California