Some questions about inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Martin Jackson
Subject Some questions about inheritance
Date
List pgsql-sql
Greetings all,

I am running Postgres 6.5.1 on Red Hat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.10.

I am trying to build an application of some size and complexity using
pgsql, linux, and perl.  Currently, I am trying to better understand
the  way inheritance works in postgres.

I have done some experiments, and it seems that functions executed in
CHECK conditions are inherited but triggers are not.  Thus, I will have
to define a trigger for every table that I wish to execute it on.
(Basically, it's a timestamp updater - nothing too fancy yet <g>.)  Is
that a bug or a feature? <g>

Is there a place where the inheritance features of postgres are well
documented?  Someone's website, perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for the great product.  I look forward to further
updates.

--
Martin Jackson: mhjacks@nwa.quik.com