Re: [DOCS] Re: Contributing PDF of the PUG - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [DOCS] Re: Contributing PDF of the PUG
Date
List pgsql-docs
(on list to document the Q&A)

> > > I have converted your PostgreSQL User's Guide (v. 6.5) to PDF to ease
> > > printing on Windows.  If you are interested in getting the PDF (for
> > > redistribution or whatever), I'll be pleased to forward it to your
> > > attention.
> > I would be pleased to have you as a volunteer for future versions.
> > Would that be possible?
> I would like to *TRY* to have a go at this, maybe contributing to the
> .pdf creation of future versions (mainly because I'd like to have a
> book-style version of the manuals for printing on our duplex-capable
> printer :-).

Great!

> But I do have a few problems making the docs (using the
> postgresql6.5.1.tar.gz distribution), I've installed the full teTeX
> distribution from the RedHat 6.0 Linux distribution and also
> installed the six packages from:
> sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/docbook-tools/docware/RPMS/i386:
> docbook-3.0-8.i386.rpm
> jade-1.2.1-3.i386.rpm
> jadetex-2.3-2.i386.rpm
> psgml-1.0.1-7.i386.rpm
> sgml-common-0.1-2.i386.rpm
> stylesheets-0.8-4.i386.rpm

These are the right ones...

> I can make the *.tex files (actually only tried with admin: make
> admin.tex), but when I try to TeX this file using make admin.dvi, I
> get the following errors:
>
> --------admin.log---------
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.2) (format=jadetex 1999.2.19)
> 30 JUL 1999 15:02 **admin.tex (admin.tex JadeTeX 1998/10/12: 2.3 LaTeX
> Font Info:    Try loading font information for T1+ptm on input line 1.
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1ptm.fd File: t1ptm.fd 1997/02/11
> Fontinst v1.6 font definitions for T1/ptm. )
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/jadetex/isoents.tex File: isoents.tex
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=14318].
> l.1513 \def\
>             Entsmallfrown{\ensuremath{\smallfrown}}% E426
> If you really absolutely need more capacity,
> you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
>
> Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
>  1517 strings out of 5603
>  14310 string characters out of 14318
>  111438 words of memory out of 263001
>  9729 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+0
>  6153 words of font info for 17 fonts, out of 200000 for 1000
>  15 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
>  15i,0n,39p,130b,123s stack positions out of
>  300i,100n,500p,30000b,4000s
> No pages of output.
> --------admin.log---------
>
> It's been a few years since I really worked with TeX, but it seems
> like I need hugetex or something (I tried to remake jadetex.fmt,
> which try to use hugelatex), but is this made from recompiling the
> TeX binary or can I change some configuration files and remake some
> of the format files without compiling TeX???

My understanding is that tetex (and perhaps others) allows you to set
some parameters to increase buffer sizes without rebuilding the code.
The tex conversion failed for this and other reasons when I first
tried doing the formatting, and though things have improved on the tex
side since then I still stick with sgml->rtf->ApplixWare->postscript
for my document formatting.

> In other words, what would be the shortest path to getting the
> postgresql documentation compiled through TeX (I'm not asking for a
> course here, but if you have references to some good documentation on
> this, and can add a few comments on how you got your system
> installed, I would be very happy to try to create printable versions
> of the PostgreSQL documentation for both single and doublepaged
> output if possible).
>
> It seems from the documentation creation documentation :-), that
> you've used the rtf format for the printable versions of the manuals,
> so perhaps I'm going in the wrong direction here, but I do like TeX
> more, especially if one could use the book-style to automatically
> have pagenumbers placed alternating in the left/right side of the
> page for duplex-printing. As I see it the alternative is to manually
> edit the rtf-file to have the pagenumbers placed in the left/right
> side of the page, and also manually updating the indexes (which
> actually isn't quite my definition of having a good time :-).

The left/right page numbering issue may be handled by ApplixWare so
that your Postscript could be used directly; I haven't looked into it
yet and didn't even think about it 'til now.

imho there is a great benefit to being able to hand-tweak the
formatted output before printing, and sgml->tex->dvi->postscript does
not really let you do that, at least in an easy way. There are
definitely some warts on the ApplixWare process (the only really
annoying one is that Applix does not assign styles correctly to files
from this particular rtf, so I can't automatically rebuild the Table
of Contents and have to hand-type the page numbers instead) but
overall it seems to do what I want.

The DSSSL and/or sgml-tools mailing lists will have details on the tex
configuration issues; I can give you references if you want to pursue
it.

Regards.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California