Re: [HACKERS] SSL patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SSL patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Ansley, Michael" wrote:

> Hannu wrote:
> >> Actually you are free to use HTTPS on 80 and HTTP on 443 if you wish.
> >>
> I understand this; the point that I was trying to make was that they run on
> different ports.  I don't think that it's possible to run both http and
> https on the same port at the same time on the same server, and I think that
> we should take the cue.

It is possible unless you mean that the very same connection is both
http and https ;)

The decision to use either http or https is done et _each_ connection
setup (at each http(s) request).
So http://samehost.com:443/ and https://samehost.com/ will connect to
samehost.com port 443, only the latter user SSL.

> It's a concept that people already understand.

Agreed, but there is nothing at the protocol level that forces them to
be
separate.

Hannu