Re: pgbench -f and vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgbench -f and vacuum
Date
Re: pgbench -f and vacuum  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: pgbench -f and vacuum  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> Currently pgbench -f (run custom script) executes vacuum against
> pgbench_* tables before stating bench marking if -n (or --no-vacuum)
> is not specified. If those tables do not exist, pgbench fails. To
> prevent this, -n must be specified. For me this behavior seems insane
> because "-f" does not necessarily suppose the existence of the
> pgbench_* tables.  Attached patch prevents pgbench from exiting even
> if those tables do not exist.

I don't particularly care for this approach.  I think if we want to
do something about this, we should just make -f imply -n.  Although
really, given the lack of complaints so far, it seems like people
manage to deal with this state of affairs just fine.  Do we really
need to do anything?