Re: [SQL] Good Optimization - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From secret
Subject Re: [SQL] Good Optimization
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     IMHO we're improving optimization more and more on  the  cost
> >     of  query  parse/rewrite/optimize/plan time. Thus performance
> >     of statements that EXECUTE fast slows  down  more  and  more.
> >     Isn't   it   time   to   think   about  some  (maybe  shared)
> >     "parsetree->plan" cache that provides ready to use  plans  if
> >     only Const values have changed?
>
> TODO list has:
>
>         * Cache most recent query plan(s?)
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
   Why not let the user select how much time he wants the DB to spend on
optimization?  maybe an explicit "FAST SELECT ..." will skip the costly steps
for subsecond queries, or "OPTIMIZE SELECT" for the long(hour) queries that
really need a lot of help :)... Or even a SET OPTION= for turning it on/off?

--David