Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Uncle George
Subject Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date
List pgsql-ports
1) The reason why for -mieee is that if u care for some of the 'rare' floating point
exceptions ( as defined by alpha floating point hardware )  then u want to handle
them - as per ieee specifications to give u the correct ieee result. When the
processor cant handle the exceptions it (can ) traps to software assist routines
( hidden in the kernel ). But in order for the kernel to fix the exception u have to
stop the pipeline as close to the problem, so u can backtrace the user pc ( which is
by now quite a few instructions ahead of where the exception occured ) to the point
where it occured to see what register needs to have the correct value inserted.
    Without the -mieee, the compiler will not arrange the float operations so that
it can be backstepped when a fault occures. The kernel then cannot fix the problem,
and forces a floating point exception onto the program. Death usually follows.
    Therefor only do -mieee where u need to. ERGO can this flag be set individually
as per each individual makefile, and not as per ./configure ?
2) Then I want to report a bug - HAS_LONG_LONG in one of the 'c' files needs to be
turned on - I think there is only one - also for RH6.0/alpha. I dont think that
RH6.0/alpha has long long as a type and just uses long to define a 64bit quantity
3) Then can I presume that Absolutetime/Relativetime in nabstime.h will be changed
to int32?