Re: small regression adjustment - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: small regression adjustment
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> It occurred to me after having to change I think 9 files to clean up a
> small mess in the jsonb regression tests the other day that we might
> usefully expose the inputdir and outputdir to psql as variables when
> running pg_regress. Then we might be able to do thing like this, quite
> independent of location:

>     \set datafile :inputdir/data/mystuff.data
>     COPY mytable FROM :'datafile';

If we could get rid of the run-time-generated-test-file facility
altogether, I could get excited about this; but just getting rid of
the COPY special cases isn't enough for that.  Looking at
convert_sourcefiles_in, it seems like we'd also need solutions for
these dynamic substitutions:
           replace_string(line, "@testtablespace@", testtablespace);           replace_string(line, "@libdir@",
dlpath);          replace_string(line, "@DLSUFFIX@", DLSUFFIX);

At least this one seems rather difficult to fix in this fashion:

output/create_function_1.source:83:ERROR:  could not find function "nosuchsymbol" in file "@libdir@/regress@DLSUFFIX@"

(I'm a bit inclined to think that we could dispense with @DLSUFFIX@
altogether; explicit use of the platform's library suffix has been
deprecated for at least a decade.  But the others are harder.)