Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane said:
>> O.k. so now what I am getting from this thread is, the functions exist
>>  now in pg_dump but we want to pull them out of pg_dump and push them
>> into the backend?
>
> That's exactly what I *don't* want to do.  If you can think of a
> use-case for these functions outside of pg_dump, feel free to put them
> in the backend, but pg_dump should continue to do things as it does
> now.

ISTR we debated this some time ago and decided that it wasn't a good idea
for pg_dump. I certainly agree with Tom about it.

But I think there is almost certainly a good use case for these apart from
pg_dump. I recall many years ago using IBMs QMF facility that would provide
skeleton select for a table, and maybe it gave a create query too (it was
about 20 years ago, so my memory is not perfect). I have sometimes wished we
had such a thing for use in C&P query construction.

cheers

andrew