Re: Should we work around msvc failing to compile tab-complete.c? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Should we work around msvc failing to compile tab-complete.c?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2024-07-10 We 5:55 AM, Dave Page wrote:

What is more relevant is that as far as I can see, we've never actually supported either libedit or readline in MSVC++ builds - which kinda makes sense because Windows terminals are very different from traditional *nix ones. Windows isn't supported by either libedit or readline as far as I can see, except through a couple of forks.

I imagine from mingw/cygwin builds, readline would only actually work properly in their respective terminals.

configure.ac explicitly forces --without-readline on win32, so no for mingw. configure.ac claims there are issues especially with non-US code pages.

One of the reasons I've continued to support building with Cygwin is that its readline does seem to work, making its psql the best I know of on Windows.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan