Invoking patch - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Fred Wilson Horch
Subject Invoking patch
Date
List pgsql-docs
> > *** doc/src/sgml/history.sgml Sun Jun 20 21:53:53 1999
> > --- doc/src/sgml/history.sgml.new Sun Jun 20 21:58:24 1999
>
> How would you suggest I invoke the patch utility to get this to work?

This works for me:

1. save patch file to doc/src/sgml/history.sgml.patch
2. cd doc/src/sgml
3. patch < history.sgml.patch

On my system, this patches the history.sgml file.  What happens when you
try it?

I'm using

$ patch --version
patch 2.5
Copyright 1988 Larry Wall

This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

written by Larry Wall with lots o' patches by Paul Eggert

$ uname -a
Linux devel.ecoaccess.org 2.0.36 #1 Thu Mar 4 15:18:55 EST 1999 i586
unknown

Let me know if you'd rather I save the original file to .orig rather
than create a .new file.  Either way works for me.

--Fred Horch

P.S.  Actually, now that I've got font-lock working with psgml mode, I
like keeping the .sgml extension on both files, so I call the new one
.new.sgml.  I can cp the orig file to .orig.sgml just as easily.

The one thing about renaming the original files to .orig is that I get
confused when doing cvs updates.  By keeping all of my changes in .new
files, it's clearer to me which of my changes made it into the official
Postgres repository.  But again, I'll do whatever makes it easier for
you.