Re: [GENERAL] Geometric operators - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Hoffmann
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Geometric operators
Date
List pgsql-general
selkovjr.mcs.anl.gov@mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> That is not exactly so, if I may. '&&' is, like Steffen has already
> mentioned, an operator for overlap. What the original posting inquired
> about was containment. There are two operators for that, '~' and
> '@', with the meanings of 'contains' and 'contained', respectively.

you are, of course, correct.  there are probably more operators in there
than anybody would actually use.  i noticed the docs on 6.5 have a lot
of "?" by the descriptions of geometric operators.  does this mean that
nobody actually knows how this stuff works?

> As a side comment, you don't need type-casting for the box
> constants -- they are coerced -- and you might as well omit
> parentheses:
>
> select * from mytable where box_field && '100,100,200,200';
>
> unless you want to stay consistent with the way boxes represent
> themselves on the output.

i think it's a bit more readable to put all of that extra stuff in
there, but then again, i don't like putting the opening { on its own
line in C code, for similar reasons.  i guess i'm just a rebel.

btw, does anyone have any hints as to why the r-tree indexes aren't
working for me in 6.5?   i sent a message about it earlier today and
i've been poking around when i've had time, but i haven't figured it out
yet.

jeff