Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: IS it a good practice to use SERIAL as Primary Key?
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am wonderring if it is a good practice to use SERIAL index as primary key,
> as it is only available up to 9999999?

That isn't true.  It is much larger that that. If yor need more than that there is always
bigserial.

serial    = int4
bigserial = int8

""
The type names serial and serial4 are equivalent: both create integer columns. The type names
bigserial and serial8 work just the same way, except that they create a bigint column. bigserial
should be used if you anticipate the use of more than 231 identifiers over the lifetime of the
table.
""
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL

> Currently i am dealing with storing LDAP users into Postgres and i am
> looking for a better way to make use of the DN as primary key instead of
> SERIAL index.
>
> Any advice or suggestion is appreciated.

Here is a similar discussion that you may be enterested in:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-10/msg00024.php

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.