Problems using, IE5 MS-VM and JDBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Georg Ritter
Subject Problems using, IE5 MS-VM and JDBC driver
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Hello,

I wrote a little Java applet which uses jdbc to connect to a
pg installed on a linux box.

It works with Nectscape 4.5/6 but when I try to start
the applet with IE5 ( JIT on and off ) I get the SQLException
"No suitable driver found", thrown by the first try block (see
program code below).

I don't understand where the problem comes from. It seems to
be correctly done if it works with Netscape?
Any ideas around there?

The driver is situated in a subdir of the applet: ..../applet/postgres/
( single .class files, structure as in the postgres dist. )

I used jdk1.2 port for linux for compiling the driver.

The code I use to load the driver:
import java.sql.*;
import java.net.URL;
import java.net.MalformedURLException;
...   private void initDBconnection()   {       String url = "jdbc:postgresql://a.b.c:5000/mydb?" +
"user=thename?password=thepasswd&auth=password";      String usr = "thename";        String pwd = "thepasswd";

       String query = "select kreis, name from locationdata where nummer<10";              try {  Class.forName(
"postgresql.Driver"); }        catch( Exception ex )        {    d( "could not do theSatwebDBnect to SATWeb" + ex, 100
);          Error( "DBError");        }       try        {           theSatwebDB = DriverManager.getConnection( url,
usr,pwd );       }        catch( SQLException ex )        {    d("The connection to SATWeb failed:" +ex+"\n", 100);
 }   }

Greetings,
Georg Ritter
--------------------------------------------------------------------- student at department of physics University of