'Infinity' in date columns? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Winter
Subject 'Infinity' in date columns?
Date
Re: 'Infinity' in date columns?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

The documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html seems to say that the special value ‘infinity’ (“later than all other time stamps”) should work for an date-time column, and the type “date” is listed as among the date-time data types.

But I can’t get ‘infinity’ to work for columns of type “date”.

Here’s a test case:

CREATE TABLE _test

(

  timestampx timestamp without time zone DEFAULT 'infinity'::timestamp without time zone,

  datex date DEFAULT 'infinity'::timestamp without time zone

)

);

INSERT INTO _test DEFAULT VALUES;

SELECT * FROM _test;

This returns (as viewed through pgAdmin III):

timestampx     datex

infinity

When I tried to declared the “datex” column like this:

  datex date DEFAULT 'infinity'::date

I got this:

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type date: "infinity"

Is there any way to get ‘infinity’ to work for a “date” column?

Or any other way to get the equivalent functionality in a date column?

~ TIA

~ Ken