Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump inconsistences - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump inconsistences
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > To return consistent results pg_dump should run all queries
> > in single transaction, in serializable mode. It's old problem.
> > But now when selects don't block writers we are able to do this.
> >
> > Comments/objections?
>
> If I understood what you were saying, I may object, but I don't, so go
> ahead.  :-)

As far as I see each COPY table TO STDOUT is executed in
its own transaction. This may cause referential inconsistences
(pg_dump saves foreign keys, then other transaction deletes some
foreign and primary keys and commits, now pg_dump saves
primary keys and loses some of them, breaking referential
integrity).

Vadim