Re: [HACKERS] JDBC problem in the docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] JDBC problem in the docs
Date
List pgsql-docs
> I'm being asked the same question every so often, about the following
> line:
>         Class.forName(postgresql.Driver);
> People are asking why this isn't working. Obviously there should be quotes
> in there, and I'm thinking that they are missing from the docs.
>         Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

golem> grep -i Class.forName *.sgml
jdbc.sgml:Class.forName() method. For
<application>Postgres</application>, you would use:
jdbc.sgml:Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");

And from the generated html:

<snip>
In the first method, your code implicitly loads the driver using the
Class.forName() method. For Postgres, you would use:

Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
</snip>

Not sure if it could be mentioned somewhere else? Or maybe we can make
a general statement about how well people using Java follow directions
:)
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California