Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Edmund Mergl
Subject Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Not really.  It required changing function calls all over, and probably
> > > relies on 6.5 changes too.  It is in the 6.5 beta right now.  Are you
> > > using that?
> >

> > I did all the tests with the current snapshot of May 18th.
> >

> Fix was installed yesterday.

sorry, but the problem still persists. I used
  -rw-r--r--   1 1005     root      5954900 May 24 03:03 postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz

I started the query
  update bench set k500k = k500k + 1 where k100 = 30;

and I killed it after half an hour of havy disk activity.
The same query on the same machine with the same setup,
but using  sybase-ase-11.0.3.3-1 takes less than 1 minute.

The table bench looks like the following:

Table    = bench
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| kseq                             | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k500k                            | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k250k                            | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k100k                            | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k40k                             | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k10k                             | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k1k                              | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k100                             | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k25                              | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k10                              | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k5                               | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k4                               | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| k2                               | int4 not null                    |     4 |
| s1                               | char() not null                  |     8 |
| s2                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s3                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s4                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s5                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s6                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s7                               | char() not null                  |    20 |
| s8                               | char() not null                  |    20 |

The table is filled with 1.000.000 rows of random data
and on every field an index is created.

Edmund

--
Edmund Mergl          mailto:E.Mergl@bawue.de