triggers and plpgsql question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mathieu Arnold
Subject triggers and plpgsql question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi

I want to do a generic function that I can add to triggers to add every
inserts, updates and deletes from many differents tables into a common
format in another table. the idea is :

create function do_it_all () returns opaque '
begin IF TG_OP = ''INSERT'' THEN   cycle through all of NEW (not knowing what it contains) and do things     with them
ELSIFTG_OP = ''UPDATE'' THEN   cycle through all of NEW (not knowing what it contains) and do things     with them
ELSIFTG_OP = ''DELETE'' THEN   say that NEW.id_||TG_RELNAME has been deleted END IF;

END;

The thing I need, is to be able to know what does NEW contains, and I have
not found out any mean to do so. If it's not possible to do so, I'll write
a function per table, but for the beauty of all this, I would have liked to
do it the way above.

--
Mathieu Arnold