Re: fixing CREATEROLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fixing CREATEROLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But having said that, I could certainly change the patches so that any
> user, or maybe just a createrole user since it's otherwise irrelevant,
> can flip the INHERITCREATEDROLE and SETCREATEDROLE bits on their own
> account. There would be no harm in that from a security or auditing
> perspective AFAICS. It would, however, make the handling of those
> flags different from the handling of most other role-level properties.
> That is in fact why things ended up the way that they did: I just made
> the new role-level properties which I added work like most of the
> existing ones.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I know a better answer.  But the fact
that these end up so different from other role-property bits seems to
me to suggest that making them role-property bits is the wrong thing.
They aren't privileges in any usual sense of the word --- if they
were, allowing Alice to flip her own bits would obviously be silly.
But all the existing role-property bits, with the exception of
rolinherit, certainly are in the nature of privileges.

> What I would
> particularly like to hear in such an argument, though, is a theory
> that goes beyond those two particular properties and addresses what
> ought to be done with all the other ones, especially CREATEDB and
> CREATEROLE.

CREATEDB and CREATEROLE don't particularly bother me.  We've talked before
about replacing them with memberships in predefined roles, and that would
be fine.  But the reason nobody's got around to that (IMNSHO) is that it
won't really add much.  The thing that I think is a big wart is
rolinherit.  I don't know quite what to do about it.  But these two new
proposed bits seem to be much the same kind of wart, so I'd rather not
invent them, at least not in the form of role properties.