Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - Makefiles - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - Makefiles
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> I am confused. I have the zip file distribution from Byrons web site.
> Its supposed to be the latest and greatest but it has no make files for
> UNIX/Linux?

Right. Byron develops under WIN32. Several of us helped port it to
Unix some time ago.

> I also have a set of source which is integrated into the server
> distribution. It appears to have UNIX/Linux make files but I could spend
> way too much time getting my head into it then I want to. I have many
> other drivers to work on and I can not spend time figuring out every
> source/config structure of the servers etc.

?? There is one directory which contains an older version of Byron's
code. He is planning on updating our CVS repository, though it looks
like he hasn't had a chance to do that yet. The Right Way (tm) to
build a standalone version of the driver on Unix is to build a
standalone tar file from a configured Postgres tree:

cd src
./configure --with-odbc
cd interfaces/odbc
make standalone

Take the resulting tar file and put it into a separate area, then make
from there.

> My preferred option is to work with the zipped/standalone version and
> then hand the whole thing back to Byron... things brings me back to
> 'where are the UNIX/Linux make files'?

I'd suggest starting from an updated standalone tar distribution as
described above. I'll build something and send it to you when Byron
has a chance to do the updates (and I can test them), or you can take
the existing standalone distribution on ftp.postgresql.org and merge
Byron's code in yourself. He had suggested waiting for his changes
however.

btw, since the newest code is *not* in the cvs repository, folks doing
development under Unix can not test or keep up to date with changes.
So we should probably consider the current cvs tree as the best
available distribution, even though it is out of sync with zipballs
posted at insightdist.com. Is there anyone out there who is actively
developing ODBC under Unix and perhaps WIN32 who would want to help us
keep up to date with changes for the Unix side of things? It's usually
not much work, but it could use someone with that focus...
                      - Tom

South Pasadena, California