Re: Autovacuum and Autoanalyze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Autovacuum and Autoanalyze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> This seems like the wrong solution.  There is a general problem that
> bulk data loads on an empty table tend to result in horrible query
> plans,

Please provide some specifics.  It's been a very long time since the
planner was completely unaware of the size of such a table.  Lack of
stats is certainly a handicap, but I'm not convinced it should result
in horrible plans.  Maybe a more appropriate answer to this type of
issue is to tweak some of the default selectivity numbers.

> And maybe also do the same thing if the table has grown significantly
> (not sure what the threshold should be) since the last ANALYZE.

Autovacuum already does this type of thing.