Scheduling data input from tab delimited file via php - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Dylan Fogarty-MacDonald
Subject Scheduling data input from tab delimited file via php
Date
Re: Scheduling data input from tab delimited file via php  (Keith Worthington <KeithW@NarrowPathInc.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I have a client comprising of a group of car dealerships. Thier
accounting software uploads via ftp a tab delimited file of their
updated stock whenever the stock is updated.

What I need to do is execute a php scipt that imports data from the
file into the database at a regular interval, ie. every hour.

Does postgres have an ability handle this in a different way, maybe by
removing the need to use php at all?

Can postgres be scheduled for actions like this? Or will I need to
have the php file schedule the action itself?

Basically, I need to know if postgres can be scheduled, and if it can
open/execute files on a server.

Thankyou,
I hope this was written in an understandable way...

-Dylan